Friday, December 23, 2005

Merry Christmas

A couple days ago a family in my neighborhood was evicted. The kid that lived there has had a great year including a stint in jail followed by the death of his mother. The Holiday season has brought not Santa Claus but the Fulton county sheriff to put his family out.

It serves as a reminder that while people are traveling, opening gifts, taking time off, shopping, going to office parties,drinking egg nog, and dreaming of a white Christmas that there are others hanging on for dear life to make it through today.

I wonder if the money I spend on gifts during this season could be used better if it were given to someone to pay their rent or buy some food. What if at Christmas we decided to give only to those living below the poverty level instead of for gifts to people who already have more than they need. What if we gave to people who were really in need. Without judgment or having them fill out paperwork, without taking their pictures or writing their stories down. What if we took the billions of dollars we spend on useless gifts like a candle holders, picture frames, and gift bags to put them in and gave it to the poor. Walmart makes close to one billion dollars on Black Friday. Nine thousand keeps the family in my neighborhood that was evicted in their home for a year.

I know I sound like some bleeding heart who sees the world unrealistically as I am often told. I don't know what to do when my heart hurts so much to see people living in seemingly impossible situations. This is the time of year where hope and peace are supposed to be celebrated, but it seems to only be celebrated by those who can afford a house and gifts and to pay for utilities. Poverty isn't taking off for the holidays I am.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.


This is the post that Mission Year's Vice President Leroy Barber put on his blog today. I thought it was a powerful realization on his part. I don't mean it to be a downer so close to Christmas but as I tallied my credit card receipts from today's last minute shopping, I was embarrassed for what I saw. Though I enjoy giving gifts to those I love and seeing them smile, this has reminded me of my selfishness and sin.

Lord, forgive me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

Hey girl,
I'm waiting for another post!
Love and miss you
mur

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home